Friday, September 18, 2009

My Merdeka Wish - Sharyn Lisa Shufiyan * Tunku Abdul Rahman's Great Granddaughter

Appreciation to my fellow LJCCC brother, Michael J. for this article.


Tunku Abdul Rahman

“Both my parents are Malay. My mum's heritage includes Chinese, Thai and Arab, while my dad is Minangkabau. Due to my skin colour, I am often mistaken for a chinese.
I'm happy that I don’t have the typical Malay look but I do get annoyed when people call me Ah Moi or ask me straight up "Are you Chinese or Malay"
Like, why does it matter? Before I used to answer "Malay" but now I'm trying to consciously answer Malaysian instead.
There's this incident from primary school that I remember till today. Someone told me that I will be called last during Judgement Day because I don’t have a Muslim name. Of course, I was scared then but now that I'm older, I realise that a name is just a name. It doesn’t define you as a good or bad person and there is definitely no such thing as a Muslim name. You can be named Rashid or ALI and still be a Christian.
I’ve heard of the 1Malaysia concept, but I think we don’t need to be told to be united. We've come such a long way that it should already be embedded in our hearts and minds that we are united. Unfortunately, you can still see racial discrimination and polarisation. There is still this ethno-centric view that the Malays are the dominant group and their rights must be protected, and non Malays are forever the outsiders.
For the concept to succeed, I think the government should stop with the race politics. It's tiring, really. We grew up with application forms asking us to tick our race. We should stop painting a negative image of the other races, stop thinking about 'us' and 'them' and focus on 'we', 'our' and 'Malaysians'.
No one should be made uncomfortable in their own home. A dear Chinese friend of mine said to me once, "I don’t feel patriotic because I am not made to feel like Malaysia is my home, and I don’t feel an affinity to China because I have never lived there.
I know some baby Nyonya friends who can trace their lineage back hundreds of years. I'm a fourth generation Malaysian. If I am Bumiputra, why can’t they be, too? Clearly I have issues with the term.
I think the main reason why we still can’t achieve total unity is because of this 'Malay rights' concept. I'd rather 'Malay rights' be replaced by human rights. So unless we get rid of this Bumiputra status, or reform our views and policies on rights, we will never achieve unity.
For my merdeka wish, I'd like for Malaysians to have more voice, to be respected and heard. I wish that the government would uphold the true essence of parliamentary democracy. I wish for the people to no longer fear and discriminate against each other, to see that we are one and the same.
I wish that Malaysia would truly live up to the tourism spin of Malaysia truly Asia. Malaysians to lead - whatever their ethnic background. Only ONE NATIONALITY -MALAYSIAN. No Malays, No Chinese, No Indians - ONLY MALAYSIANS. Choose whatever religion one is comfortable with.

8 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    My name is Sharyn and the above piece was my interview with The Star during Independence Day. Thanks so much for sharing my views. However, can I just clarify that the last bit, "Malaysians to lead - whatever their ethnic background. Only ONE NATIONALITY -MALAYSIAN. No Malays, No Chinese, No Indians - ONLY MALAYSIANS. Choose whatever religion one is comfortable with." was not said by me. It was added by a blogger who reproduced my interview. The original interview can be found here:

    Though it is an ideal statement, I would just like to take ownership of only what I said. Quite hard to expect what circulates on net huh? take care, god bless :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ajoyly for posting this article which I was indeed fortunate to come across today

    Sharyn,
    I am very sure that your personal views and outlook can be found in many forward-looking Malaysians of all ages and races. We all want to feel 'Malaysian' not just our passports idnetified us as 'Malaysian'. Myself being of Chinese descent and of darker facial undertone (after being too long in the sun) and sporting a mouthache have sometimes been mistaken for a Malay (of which I dont mind at all). I fully agree with with your views on 'human rights' and the Merdeka Wish. I would also say that we must always accept each and every Malaysian in their individual capacity as a person and not to stereotype those negative things about a particular grouping. Look around us, how our lives in our home Malaysia would be much plentiful and sweeter if we accept fellow Malaysians as genuine blooded brothers and sisters. Aim to make all Malaysians to be more knowledgeable and to be true in spirits towards all human kinds. Once we truly loves our neighbourly Malaysians, then we can automatically love our Nation. So Sharyn, continue to show the way and influence those sceptics along the way. Your great grandfather,our beloved 'Father' Tunku had shown the way in his times, now you and others like you (Y generations & IT savvy) are expected to show the way too. Make PM Najb's 'One Malaysia' dream a reality - we must succeed in this only one chance.
    Regards,
    Sarawakian Dreamer (dcsiaw@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharyn

    Thanks for your clarification. You wrote a very
    good piece that touches the heart of all Malaysians even outsiders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trainplace

    Sharyn said it for all Malaysians. Agree with you that this is a positive move for unity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To my dearest Sharyn, grand daughter of Tunku who by the way is one of the most idiotic Malay I have heard and read. For your information, my grandfather was part of the askar Melayu. He fought so that he and his family could live in an independent malaysia. Him, and his several hundreds malays. Their most biggest enemy were the chinese within Malaysia. WHY?
    Because they were the one who fully supported the communism movement to take our sovereignity. They hid the communist in their homes, give them food and shelter when these were the bloody fuck people who were trying to take over the country. They did because they knew, if the communist would have won, Malaysia would be what Singapore is now. Malays are nothing but 3rd class people left forgotten and many uneducated like the one in Kg Bijih Timah (or whatever fuck it is called) and never the same level as the chinese. You want to talk about tolerance about races? Thinka bout what happen in 13 Mei when the chineses burnt, spit and urinated on your great grandfather photograph. Because why? Because they taught they had won over the government. Who were there to protect your grandfather? It was the Malays who protected your grandfather's martabat.

    You are one obvious MELAYU MUDAH LUPA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. MHD: Meaning that Melayu should always thiking racially by attacking Chinese simply because so called communism nearly 50 years ago??? Melayu by doing this will only consider as MELAYU MUDAH INGAT?? I am realize why Malaysia finally will become 3rd level country because ppl like you around. By not stopping Malaysia to growth and develop, you are the 1 should leave this wonderful country.

    Sharyn : We are always by your side!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i could not agree more than you guys.

    I came across with a girl selling insurance, i said i already buy kurnia, and immediately she reply in disgust:why you buy from malay company!(im a chinese myself)sigh..hopefully Malaysia will become unite as last time. We used to be one.

    The main problem is our government keep playing with the racial issues and this will still go on. Mainly because people who are in charge for Malaysia have the thinking like MOHD! Think of what you all should do pal. Vote smart, not vote race.


    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

FEEDJIT Live Page Popularity

FEEDJIT Recommended Reading

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Search This Blog